Viking Skills – Class D Melee Mercenary Skills
A mercenary in Atlantica Online is defined by which skills are available to him, and some of the Vikings skills really make this mercenary class in the Atlantica Online open beta stand out from the rest of the crowd, at least in the early levels. Lets begin with the Viking’s standard class D melee mercenary skills, and then we’ll move on to the signature skill of the class.
The Viking has 3 skills which are common among each of the three class D melee mercenaries. These skills are as follows:
- Guard Dispel – This spell can be cast on a single row of the opponent’s formation. It essentially cancels out the spell Holy Guard which is on any of your opponent’s units in that row. This allows your other mercs to use magical attacks on those units which previously had Holy Guard on them.
- Deadly Strike – This spell can only be used when your mercenary is on the verge of death. It is a very highly damaging attack, targeted to a single enemy unit. Using this ability will tax your mercenary’s action power both on the round in which it is used, and on the following round. It really is a last ditch sort of ability, but it deals out significant damage.\
- Break Down – This is an area-of-effect spell, targeting every unit in the enemy formation. It is one of the weaker AoE spells in the game. However, if it is used on a formation which has the ranged skill Chaos Wind in effect upon them, the spell Destructive Wind will activate. Destructive Wind is a high-damage area-of-effect, damage-over-time spell.
The Viking’s Signature Skill
In addition to these 3 basic class D melee mercenary skills, the Viking has 1 skill which really does define the class.
- Freezing Axe – This is the Viking’s signature skill. With this skill the Viking can freeze all of the units in one row of the enemy formation, completely taking them out of the action for as many as 3 rounds. The higher the Viking has been upgraded, the longer this effect lasts on the enemy units.
It’s worth taking the #1 counter to the Freezing Axe spell into consideration, when using it in battle. The Monk’s Holy Guard spell can not only prevent magic attacks from being used on 1 row of a player’s formation, but it also removes any magical effects which have already been put upon those units. So if a row is frozen, if a player uses Holy Guard on that row, all units in that row will be unfrozen immediately. However, the units still will not be able to move until the following round.
These are the Viking’s skills. So, how should you train your Viking’s skills, particularly taking into consideration that the Viking becomes quite a bit less useful in the later stages of the game? And if your main is an Axeman, how should you train his skills? We will go into this in the following section of this guide.
This post is part of the series: Atlantica Online Viking Mercenary Class Guide
- Atlantica Online – Viking – Class Overview
- Atlantica Online – Viking – Stats & Equipment Guide
- Atlantica Online – Training Viking Stats
- Atlantica Online – Viking Class Skills & Abilities
- Atlantica Online – Training Viking Skills