Editor’s Note: This is an older article, originally published in Dec, 2008. It has not been updated and contains outdated references. All the articles in this series have been archived and the comments have been closed.
Prayer books can be wielded as if it were a shield to those in the Prayer skill. These will, in the beginning, add +5 to your prayer bonuses. You’ll have to finish the Horror from the Deep quest first though, and be a member instead of a free player. Here’s what prayer books can and cannot do for you.
Each of these prayer books will come to you “missing” four pages that you can add to it from things like player trades and finishing Treasure Trails. After you’ve completed one book fully you can go to Jossik (find him at the north lighthouse of the Barbarian Outpost) to get another. You can see him if you loss a book too and get another. After finishing a book, if your Prayer is up to 50, you can bless symbols of the Gods.
- Holy Book (Saradomin) – This will give you +5 to your prayer bonuses, +8 to your Magic Defense, +8 to your Ranged Defense, and +8 to all Slash/Crush/Stab Defenses.
- Prayer Book (Saradomin) – This will be able to be done after the Great Brain Robbery. Wear a holy symbol, and praying with this book will cure you of poison by taking two prayer points.
- Unholy Book (Zamorak) – This will give you +5 to your prayer bonuses, +8 to your Magic Attack, +8 to your Ranged Attack, and +8 to all Slash/Crush/Stab Attacks.
- Book of Balance (Guthix) – This will give you +5 to Prayer Bonus, +4 to your Magic Attack, +4 to your Ranged Attack, +4 to all Slash/Crush/Stab Attacks, +4to your Magic Defense, +4 to your Ranged Defense, and +4 to all Slash/Crush/Stab Defenses.
Prayer books are good as a shield that will buff your prayer level and it will free up an inventory slot so that you can carry more items. These are nice things to complete, however it will take quite a while due to having to go through Treasure Trails more than once. Best to trade with players for the items that you need, if you’ve the barter items or funds to do so.
Prayer is a fascinating skill in Runescape, one ironically tied to the uniqueness of, say, the Magic skill. Both are deeply complex, but have incredible results when you’ve full knowledge of what the skill can and cannot do for you.
This post is part of the series: Runescape’s Prayer Skill
- Part One of Runescape Skill Prayer: Getting Started
- Part Two of Runescape Skill Prayer: Bones
- Part Three of Runescape Skill Prayer: Main Prayers
- Part Five of Runescape Skill Prayer: Prayer Experience and Bonuses
- Part Six of Runescape Skill Prayer: Prayer Books
- Part Seven of Runescape Skill Prayer: Weaponry & Amulets
- 99 Prayer Guide: The Runescape Prayer Guide to Get 99 Prayer Fast