Manufacturing DPS machines
Vocation: Armsman, Historian
The weaponsmith's job is to produce melee weapons of excellent quality. As weapons are some of the most important item types in the game, the best weapons often sell for a high premium. People are more psychologically willing to spend a lot of gold on a weapon than they are on a piece of armor or jewelery as well, even if the material costs are relatively low. There is a massive barrier to entry to becoming a grandmaster weaponsmith, much like with armorer – but if you stick with it for a long enough time, you will start to see steady profits. Don't expect to be able to sell many of your non-critical success weapons on the auction house for very much – you might just have to vendor them to recoup your costs.
The bulk of the expense from weaponsmith will come from the ore that you need to harvest to increase it. There's also an alternative leveling path for weaponsmiths – you can increase your skill by creating traps using only inexpensive materials from a vendor and straw from a farmer – but it is much slower, although less expensive. Another relatively cheap way is to focus on crafting throwing weapons. These often sell for good silver on the auction house while taking relatively little money in terms of materials.
Another alternative leveling path is to create masses of useful sub-components that you can then use when you're a grandmaster to create critical success items that you can sell for real money. There are positives and negatives to each approach depending on your level of time commitment and how much gold you're willing to sink into the profession initially. In the long run, it's better to go the subcomponent route while gathering your own materials, but that requires a lot of storage space – use alternate characters if you need to – along with vendor bought components and increased time to mastery.
One ongoing product that weaponsmiths can make are traps for hunters. Although hunters can use their own traps, the ones crafted by weaponsmiths are superior in quality. They can also create shield spikes that guardians can use to make their shield based attacks more powerful, or change their damage type entirely. Weaponsmiths can create tricks for burglars as well that make their skills more effective, such as caltrops, marbles and stun dust. These don't cost many materials and are constant sellers, particularly at the high level.
This post is part of the series: LOTRO Crafting Guides
- Lord of the Rings Online – Crafting Overview
- LOTRO Crafting First Step: Choose a Vocation
- Lord of the Rings Online – Crafting Professions – Cook
- Lord of the Rings Online – Crafting Professions – Woodworker
- Lord of the Rings Online – Crafting Professions – Weaponsmith
- Lord of the Rings Online – Crafting Professions – Scholar
- Lord of the Rings Online – Crafting Professions – Metalsmith
- Lord of the Rings Online – Crafting Professions – Jeweler
- LOTRO Prospector: There’s Gold (and Orcs) In Them Thar Hills
- How to Gather Crafting Resources in LOTRO
- Welcome to the LOTRO Crafting Window – Proficiency and Mastery
- LOTRO – What Are Vocations?