Rockstar has released four DLC packs for Red Dead Redemption, and they definitely saved the best for last. While the other three expansions focused on adding multiplayer features, Undead Nightmare adds a whole new single-player chapter to the Red Dead Redemption saga. The wild west frontier appears familiar on the surface, but the landscape has been twisted and altered by a shroud of darkness. It’s a zombie wilderness now, so grab your torch and shotgun; it’s time to hunt.
Undead Nightmare Achievement Guide - Story Progression
- The Downward Spiral (10 GS/Bronze) - Complete “Curious Tales from Blackwater, USA” mission.
- Judge A Man By The… (30 GS/Bronze) - Complete “Cure For Most of What Ails You” and “Get Back in that Hole, Partner” missions.
- The Superior Dance (10 GS/Bronze) - Complete “Mother Superior Blues” mission.
- All’s Right With The World (25 GS/Bronze) - Complete “On a Pale Horse” mission.
These first four achievements are unlocked naturally during story progression and cannot be missed.
Undead Nightmare Achievement Guide - Liberating Territories
- Spinning Plates (25 GS/Bronze) - Have every territory saved at the same time.
This achievement can pose a challenge and requires a bit of explanation. There are 23 territories in total that must be liberated at once. There are 13 territories in America and 10 in Mexico. These territories are typically towns and gang hideouts. When first approaching an unsaved territory it will have a default status of “Unknown”. As you get closer this will change to “Overrun”, indicating that it has succumbed to the undead horde. Charge in there and cleanse the area of zombies to liberate the territory and save the survivors.
Here comes the tricky part: territories only remain saved for a brief period of time, usually between 24-72 hours of in-game time. A liberated area’s status will over time change to “Under Attack”. If you do not make it back there quickly, it will revert back to “Overrun” and survivors will start dying. Because of this, you’ll have to move fast to have all 23 territories saved at the same time. It is recommended to use a horse to travel between locations, as using fast travel expends more in-game time than just hoofing it. The good news is that three of the territories act as permanent safe zones. The safe zones are Fort Mercer, El Presidio, and Casa Madrugada.
Undead Nightmare Achievement Guide - Multiplayer
- Kingpin (10 GS/Bronze) - Fight off 8 unique players during your time on top during Land Grab in multiplayer Free Roam.
Land Grab is a new multiplayer mode that begins in Free Roam. The objective is to take control of an area and hold it against enemy players. It’s a chaotic free-for-all, so maintaining control long enough to kill eight unique players is tough. If you have the manpower, starting a private Free Roam session and boosting this achievement with friends is much less of a headache than trying to earn it legitimately.
- Smoke That Skinwagon (10 GS/Bronze) - Make it to wave 15 in Undead Overrun in multiplayer.
Undead Overrun is a survival mode in which you and up to three comrades fight to resist being overwhelmed by the undead. Each wave has a time limit that can be extended by opening coffins. Try to open all the coffins you can as they also provide much needed ammunition. Stick together with your team and don’t split up, for you can revive each other should someone get wounded. Aim carefully and go for headshots since ammo is scarce. Finally, be sure to attempt this with a full four-man party; though it’s technically doable with less participants, it is also much more difficult.
Undead Nightmare Trophy Guide - Mythical Creatures
- Fan Service (10 GS/Bronze) - Find and break a unicorn.
The unicorn is found west of Torquemada, in an area identified by a picture of three horses on your map. It will only appear after completing the Undead Hunter and Four Horses of the Apocalypse challenges. If on arrival you do not spot the unicorn, fast travel to a distant location and then return to attempt a respawn. The unicorn is white with butterflies fluttering around it, and also leaves a rainbow trail when it gallops, so it’s hard to miss.
- Six Years In The Making (10 GS/Bronze) - Find and kill a sasquatch.
The sasquatch won’t appear until you start the side mission “Birth of the Conservation Movement”. Head to Tanner’s Reach and speak to the Sasquatch Hunter to start the side mission. Once the task is accepted, the sasquatch’s general location will be marked on your map. The beast itself is easy to dispatch as it typically just flees from you. He’ll want you to kill six in total, though only killing one is necessary for the trophy.
- Chupathingy (10 GS/Bronze) - Find and kill a chupacabra.
When working your way through the challenges, Undead Hunter Rank 5 will send you to kill the chupacabra. You will not encounter this creature until you’ve achieved this rank. It can appear in countless different locations, such as: southeast of Perdido, northwest of Torquemada, south of Casa Madrugada, south of Sepulcro, or southeast of Tesoro Azul. It is randomly spawned somewhere in the Nuevo Paraiso territory, so you may need to search areas multiple times to track it down. Once nearby, it will appear as a blue marker on your map and the message “A mythical creature has appeared in the area” will display.
Undead Nightmare Trophy Guide - Challenges
- Mad Marston: The Trail Warrior (10 GS/Bronze) - Attain Rank 5 in all Undead Nightmare Challenges.
For Undead Hunter, all the ranks are self-explanatory with the exception of Rank 5, which has you hunting down the mythical chupacabra. Refer to the previous section of the guide for more information regarding the chupacabra.
Undead Sharpshooter is a little more complicated. Rank 3 requires you to kill five flaming undead using one Dead Eye meter. This can be accomplished by using phosphorous ammunition. Rank 4 calls for the death of one of each of the four kinds of zombies using one Dead Eye meter. A good place to go for this is El Presidio as two of each type of zombie spawn there. Rank 5 requires you to kill five zombies with a sniper rifle without using Dead Eye in eight seconds. The most convenient way of achieving this is equipping the rifle, and then using the execute move by approaching a zombie and pressing the fire button without aiming.
Undead Nightmare Trophy Guide - 100% Completion
- Zed’s Dead, Baby (40 GS/Silver) - Achieve 100% game completion.
The requirements for attaining 100% completion are as follows:
- Complete all eight story missions.
- Complete all six side missions.
- Save all 23 territories at least once.
- Complete all ranks of all four challenges.
- Rescue all Missing Persons. Missing Persons is an activity that starts in Fort Mercer and tasks Marston with rescuing survivors and escorting them to safe zones. There are ten to escort to Fort Mercer and six to escort to El Presidio.
- Cleanse all five graveyards. They are found at Blackwater, Coot’s Chapel, Odd Fellow’s Rest, Tumbleweed, and Sepulcro.
- Find and break the unicorn.
- Unlock all outfits. These are unlocked by completing missions and all ranks of the four challenges.
This post is part of the series: Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare Achievement/Trophy Guide
Bright Hub’s Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare Achievement/Trophy Guide thoroughly covers all of the achievements in the zombie-infested expansion pack. Learn how to find and mount the Four Horses of the Apocalypse, hunt down a wild sasquatch, and hunt for heaps of treasure.