With many people playing Call of Duty who never touch the single player modes, it stands to reason that the multiplayer has something for everyone. The standard playlist game types are, for the most part, game modes you know and love (or hate) to play. There are some new game types, though, and Modern Warfare 3 has knocked it out of the park with playable, fun new modes.
- Team Deathmatch is the standard 6v6 game mode. No respawn timer, no killstreak limits and a 7500 score limit.
- Kill Confirmed is a new game mode! It’s Team Deathmatch, only when a player dies, they drop dog tags. Players must collect dog tags to earn points to win. Collect your own team’s tags to deny enemy points.
- Mercenary is a hybrid game mode where you can play either Team Deathmatch or Kill Confirmed, with no parties allowed.
- Free For All is an 8-person deathmatch with no teams, everyone for themselves.
- Domination sets three points on a map and awards points to the team that holds them. Again, 6v6 teams, no restrictions.
- Ground War is for larger groups. 9v9 teams play a rotation of Team Deathmatch, Domination and Kill Confirmed.
- Team Defender is another new game mode! One neutral flag spawns, and two teams of 6 compete to hold the flag longer. Holding the flag gives that team’s kills more points and more exp.
- Demolition has two bomb sites and two teams, an attacker and a defender. Destroy both bomb sites or successfully defend them to win. Sides rotate each round.
- Sabotage has two teams, each with a bomb site to protect, and one neutral bomb to run to the enemy bomb site. Detonate the enemy bomb site to win!
- Headquarters Pro spawns random capture sites around the map and has two teams of 6 competing to hold the site for as long as possible. When the site is captured, the defending team has no respawns until it’s destroyed.
- Search and Destroy pits two teams of 6 against each other, one attacking and one defending. They must destroy or defend two bomb sites. The catch? No respawns. Kill the enemy team or detonate a bomb to win.
- Capture the Flag spawns two flags and has two teams of 6 trying to capture them. A classic mode.
The advanced playlists are much lower in population than the standard playlists. Given how much changes from game to game, it’s a wonder they even separate them. For the most part, the advanced playlists are simply Hardcore versions of other game types. A Hardcore variant removes the HUD, makes player health much lower and not regenerate, and in general makes everything much deadlier. If that wasn’t enough, it adds friendly fire.
- Team Tactical is Team Deathmatch, Domination, Demolition, Search and Destroy, Capture the Flag, and Kill Confirmed, all in a rotating playlist. The kicker is, it’s small teams: 4v4 rather than 6v6.
- Mosh Pit is a playlist of literally every objective-type game mode.
- Hardcore Team Deathmatch is just what it says it is.
- Hardcore Kill Confirmed is new to hardcore and makes getting tags even more dangerous.
- Hardcore Search and Destroy is a haven for the roughly 100 people who love playing it.
- Hardcore Domination is also just what it claims to be.
- Hardcore Team Tactical is all the game modes from Team Tactical in their hardcore variant.
- Barebones is Team Deathmatch, Kill Confirmed and Domination, with killstreaks disabled.
Private Match Settings
While almost none of you play Private Matches, because of how they fail to interact with XBOX Live or the PSN, don’t unlock anything, and are as a whole a separate system, that doesn’t mean there’s nothing fun to be had there. In fact, there are several game modes exclusive to private matches, that don’t see play on the live servers. On top of that, you can customize them in almost any way.
- Standard Modes include Free For All, Team Deathmatch, Search and Destroy, Sabotage, Domination, Headquarters Pro, Capture the Flag, Demolition, Kill Confirmed and Team Defender
- Drop Zone has you defending a position while points and care packages rain down to support you.
- Team Juggernaut places one person on your team as a juggernaut and has you defend them.
- Juggernaut sets one player as a juggernaut and sets everyone else in the lobby to kill them.
- Gun Game is back from Black Ops. Everyone starts with a specific weapon and each kill gets you further up a tier of guns. You can even customize the tiers!
- Infected sets a player as infected, and every person that player kills respawns as an infected. The game ends after a set amount of time survived or after every survivor has been infected.
- One in the Chamber is also back from Black Ops. Everyone starts with a pistol and one bullet. The bullet is a one-hit kill and kills get you more bullets.
So that’s that! There are a ton of options to customize in Private matches, if you want to. Feel free to share your custom games here. Or is there a game type you’d like to see, either newly created or brought back? Let us know in the comments. We may not have an in with Activision to get your ideas heard, but if you never share them, no one will ever know.
- Information from Author’s Own Experience
- Images of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Copyright of Activision