The Tribunal temple
The Temple is the church of the native Dunmer, and is the most followed coming before the Imperial Cult or Ashlander ancestor worship. They worship the Tribunal, or Almalexia, Sotha Sil and Vivec also known as Almsivi. The three are considered demi-Gods who played a great part during the First War, involving the hero Nerevar and the battle of the Red Mountain. The demi-Gods also helped in erecting the circular structure known as ‘the Ghostfence’ used for protecting outsiders from the Red Mountain, home to Dagoth Ur. The Tribunal Temple accepts foreigners into their ranks although most join for the benefit of the shrines and the offered services.
The Temple has shrines in most areas of Vvardenfell, including Red mountain and surrounding blighted areas; however they don’t have power in the grounds controlled by the Great Houses. They have shrines inside of the Ghostfence which is helpful before venturing there, as they usually provide warriors and adventurers with beneficial and warding spells prior to the encounter with corprus monsters and diseased beings.
Temples are also used for transportation around Morrowind. By casting a spell of ‘Almsivi Intervention’ the player can return to the nearest temple to either get out of perilous situations or for a quicker travelling method.
The primary attributes for the Temple are Intelligence and Personality, concentrating on a few magic schools. The arcane schools favoured (skills) are Mysticism, Conjuration and Restoration, the latter being the cleric’s principal ability. Alchemy is also considered important for priests and clerics, due to the potions curative effects. Minor skills are Blunt Weapon and the Unarmored skill.
The Temple are only allied with two of the Great Houses, the Redorans and the Hlaalu. Despite their pressures to build shrines and temples into these grounds, which is discouraged by both Houses, they still maintain a good relationship particularly with House Redoran. They absolutely despise the Nerevarine cult, fearing its prophecy is dangerous to the Temple and it’s followers.
The current Archcanon, or leader, is Tholer Saryoni found in Vivec’s Temple canton. Temple ranks are: Layman, Novice, Initiate, Acolyte, Adept, Curate, Disciple, Diviner, Master and finally Patriarch.
This post is part of the series: The World of Morrowind: Guilds & Factions
A series of articles on the various factions and guilds in the world of the Elder Scrolls III.
- The World of Morrowind: Guilds & Factions – House Dagoth
- The World of Morrowind: Guilds & Factions – House Dres
- The World of Morrowind: Guilds & Factions – House Hlaalu
- The World of Morrowind: Guilds & Factions – House Redoran
- The World of Morrowind: Guilds & Factions – House Telvanni
- The World of Morrowind: Guilds & Factions – The Blades
- The Dark Brotherhood Guild In Morrowind - Guide to Guilds & Factions in The World of Morrowind
- The World of Morrowind: The Fighters Guild - Guilds & Factions Guide For Elder Scrolls III
- The World of Morrowind: Imperial Cult in Elder Scrolls III - Morrowind Guilds & Factions Guide
- The World of Morrowind: Guilds & Factions – Imperial legion in Elder Scrolls III
- The World of Morrowind Guilds & Factions Guide – Mages Guild Overview
- The World of Morrowind: Guilds & Factions in Elder Scrolls III - Thieves guild Overview
- The World of Morrowind: Guilds & Factions – The Ashlander tribes
- The Camonna Tong Overview - Guide to The World of Morrowind Guilds & Factions
- The World of Morrowind: Guilds & Factions Guide – The Morag Tong - Elder Scrolls III
- The World of Morrowind: Guilds & Factions – The Tribunal Temple