Ribbons and How to Earn Them
Ribbons are like Medals, but can be earned over and over. In fact, many Medals (especially ones you need to earn for Seriously 3.0) are earned by earning certain Ribbons over and over a certain number of times. You don't need to earn ALL of these Ribbons in order to earn the relevant Medals, but earning them means you're playing the game in specific ways, which is often what you need to do.
Sound confusing? It's not. Check out the lists below. Most of the Ribbons are simple. Kill 10 people in a match? Sure. Get a certain number of executions in a match. Revive your allies. Be revived. A lot of these will happen in the course of normal gameplay. It's only a few of them that you need to keep an eye out for or perform specific actions for. Be sure to rotate your weapons around, because there are plenty for specific weapons.
Ribbons for Online Versus
These Ribbons are the ones you're most likely to earn just by playing multiplayer online. Some are easy, like getting two kills in a row. Others are harder, like having the highest point total. Check them out, and use them to earn achievements.
- MVP: Highest point total for the match.
- First Blood: Earned the first kill of the round.
- F.I.F.O.: First to die in a round.
- Last Man Out: Last man standing on your team.
- Better Man: Won a sudden-death showdown.
- Clutch: Killed 3 or more as last man standing to win the round.
- Never Had a Chance: Won every round in the match.
- The Double: 2 quick kills in a row.
- The Triple: 3 quick kills in a row.
- The Quad: 4 quick kills in a row.
- The Quinn: 5 quick kills in a row.
- Nemesis: Killed same opponent 5 times.
- Retribution: Killed your nemesis.
- Swift Vengeance: Revenge killed your last killer.
- Solid: More kills than deaths in a match.
- Denied!: Ended an opponent's kill streak.
- Killing Spree: Killed 5 opponents without dying.
- Rampage: Killed 10 opponents without dying.
- Unstoppable: Killed 15 opponents without dying.
- Invincible: Killed 20 opponents without dying.
- Godlike: Killed 25 opponents without dying.
Ribbons Earned with Weapon Tricks
These weapon trick Ribbons are generally easy but very circumstantial. Kill multiple players with a single grenade? Easy, but only if multiple players are together to be killed by it.
- Trick Shot: One Torque Bow headshot leading to a double kill.
- Hat Trick: Scored 3 headshots in a row without dying.
- Mortarfied: Killed multiple opponents with a single Mortar shot.
- Clusterluck: Killed multiple opponents with one grenade.
- Grenade Hug: Killed an opponent after being grenade tagged.
- Sapper Star: Killed an opponent with the opponent's own planted frag grenade.
- Ole!: Grenade tagged a charging opponent. (They charge as the Retro Lancer's bayonet attack.)
- Boombardier: Killed multiple opponents with a single Boomshot blast.
- Hail Mary: Boomshot kill from over 200 feet.
- Kaboom!: Killed multiple opponents with a single Sawed-off Shotgun blast.
- Roadblock: Stopped a Retro Lancer charge with the Sawed-off Shotgun.
- Lumberjack: Chainsawed 3 opponents in a row.
- Charge!: Retro Lancer charged 3 opponents in a row.
Miscellaneous Performance Ribbons
These Ribbons are earned with various other feats of performance in the multiplayer modes. Spotting enemies, headshotting enemies, killing multiple enemies with the Hammer of Dawn, that sort of thing.
- Military Intelligence: 5 opponents spotted ending in a kill.
- Not So Fast: Killed an opponent who was executing a teammate.
- Negotiation Over: Headshot an opponent with a meatshield.
- Oscar Mike: Killed a Roadie Running opponent with a headshot.
- The Super: Killed an evading opponent with a headshot.
- Death from Below: Killed an opponent with a grenade while downed.
- Death from Beyond: Killed an opponent after you have died.
- Death from Above: Killed multiple opponents with a single HOD blast.
Ribbons for Other Game Modes
Like playing Capture the Leader, KOTH, or one of the other non-versus game modes? You'd better start if you want all the Onyx Medals. A bunch of these Ribbons are only earnable in these game modes, and are required for Onyx Medals and thus Seriously 3.0, if you're going for it.
- Untouchable: Never captured when playing as the leader.
- Lead by Example: Killed 5 opponents as the leader in a round.
- Want Something Done: Captured the enemy leader when playing as the leader.
- Captiv-ating: Captured the enemy leader.
- Secret Service: Most leader rescues in a match.
- Rear Guard: Survived every round of Wingman.
- Avenged: Killed your Wingman's assassin.
- Top of the Hill: Killed 5 opponents from inside the ring.
- Ring Breaker: Broke opposing ring 3 times in a round.
- Ring King: Captured a ring 3 times in a round.
- Dead Ringer: Won a round of KOTH by shutting out the opposing team.
- Eye on the Prize: Most points earned in the ring.
- Sacrifice: Broke the ring alone while DBNO.
- No, Wait!: Killed an opponent while they reloaded.
- Special Delivery: Killed an opponent with a bag & tag.
- No Smoking: Killed an opponent with a smoke grenade.
- Never Surrender: Come from defeat to win a match.
- Unlucky Bastard: Only player on your team to die in a round.
Ribbons for Assists, Revives, and Final Kills
Some of these you've probably earned a dozen times without even noticing. Assists are just a fancy word for having your kills stolen, after all. Some of these Ribbons are essential to Onyx Medals, while others are just unfortunate sets of circumstances.
- Team Player: Most assists in a match.
- Personal Assistant: Assisted 10 kills in a round.
- Medic: Revived 5 teammates in a round.
- So Close: Killed while recovering from being Downed.
- Survivor: Revived yourself 5 times in a round.
- Methodical: 5 executions in a round.
- Stop Thief!: 5 kills stolen by others in a round.
- First to Fight: First kill in every round of a match.
- Final Word: Final kill of the match.
- The Cleaner: Final kill in every round of a match.
- Coup de Grace: Final kill with an execution.
Ribbons from Kills, Deaths, and KDR
Some people, all they care about is their KDR. Others just look at the most kills of a match. Still others only care about wins and losses and don't blink at dying fifteen times to capture an objective. All of these players are catered to in Ribbons. One of these Ribbons is possibly the hardest one to earn: the one for earning no other Ribbons.
- Vigilant: Won a match with no deaths and 10+ kills.
- Smooth Operator: Highest K/D ratio in a match.
- Tough Guy: Fewest deaths in a match.
- Rough Day: Most deaths in a match.
- Stay Down: More downs than kills in a match.
- Executioner: Most executions in a match.
- Evasive: Least damage taken in a match.
- Contender: Most melee hits in a match.
- Pacifist: Most revives than kills in a match.
- Spray and Pray: Most blindfire kills in a match.
- Headhunter: Most headshot kills in a match.
- Carmine's Star: Most headshot deaths in a match.
- Grenadier: Most grenade kills in a match.
- Pistoleer: Most pistol kills in a match.
- Quick Clips: Most perfect Active Reloads in a match.
- Clear!: Most revives in a match.
- Well Protected: Most revived player in a match.
- Guys? Hello?: Most time down but not out in a match.
- Buttoned Up: Spent the most time in cover.
- Under the Radar: Earned no other Ribbons in a match.
Beast and Horde Mode Ribbons
These Ribbons are earned through the other game modes you can play. Remember Beast Mode and Horde Mode? Yeah, some people play nothing but those, and other people have never booted up a match in their lives. If you want Seriously 3.0, you'll have to play ever game mode the game has to offer. Just keep in mind these Ribbons don't matter much if you're not going for Medals. The Ribbons for Beast Mode come with the Locust you need to play as to earn them listed.
- Pop Goes the Weasel: Blew up 3 enemies at once (Ticker).
- Indigestion: Killed an enemy with a swallowed grenade (Wild Ticker).
- Monkey–Dog: Multiple enemies you stunned were killed (Wretch).
- Meatshop: Killed 4 enemies without dying (Butcher).
- Team Shaman: Healed 4 teammates at once (Kantus).
- Team Savior: Revived 3 teammates at once (Kantus).
- Pillager: Destroyed 5 fortifications in a round.
- Test Driver: Played as 5 different Locust in a round.
- Antihero: Killed 5 different Heroes in a round.
- Ready for the Heavies: Unlocked the final row of Locust.
- Just in Time: Completed the wave with only 1 second left.
- Long Hauler: Completed all 50 waves in one session.
- Point Man: Earned the most cash in the wave.
- Combat Engineer: Worked on 5 fortifications in one deployment.
- Founder: Established a COG Base.
- Financier: Gave $5,000 to teammates.
- Reconnaissance: In Ghost Cam, spotted 3 weapons before they were picked up.
- Observer: Survived the wave but with no kills.
- Phat Loot: Completed a wave Challenge Objective.
- Last Hope: Survived the wave as the last one alive.
- Go On Without Me: Completed the wave as the only one dead.
Other Miscellaneous Ribbons
The last of these Ribbons are earned through various actions in the game, and many of them focus on the Campaign mode, specifically playing it in Arcade mode with friends. Earn the last of these Medals a few hundred times and you just might have a chance at the hardest achievement in the game.
- High ROI: Killed 5 enemies with a weapon you purchased.
- I Gotcha: Revived all 4 teammates in one wave.
- Like a Boss: Survived a Boss Wave without going down or dying.
- Rope-a-Dope: Killed 3 enemies in a wave that were attacking a decoy.
- Botanist: Shot 5 Lambent Pods in a chapter.
- Mech Jockey: Killed 10 enemies with a Silverback.
- Flyswatter: Killed 5 Shriekers.
- Quick Kicker: Kicked 5 small enemies.
- Pull!: Killed a ground bursting enemy in the air.
- Dewormer: Killed 3 Lambent Headsnakes.
- Pruner: Sever 5 Lambent mutant arms.
- Pig Sticker: Retro charge 4 Formers in one charge.
- Ace: Most kills in an Arcade chapter.
- Hand Holder: Most revives in an Arcade chapter.
- Wingman: Most assists in an Arcade chapter.
- Stockpiler: Most ammo taken in an Arcade chapter.
- Conservationist: Least ammo taken in an Arcade chapter.
- Number 1: Earned the highest score in an Arcade chapter.
- Priority Target: Highest score for a single kill in an Arcade chapter.
- On Your Feet, Soldier: Completed Arcade chapter without going down but not out.
There you have it, the complete list of Ribbons you can earn in Gears of War 3. What do you think? Tell us in the comments if we got something wrong or left something out.
- Some information from Cheat.CC
- Images Copyright Epic Games
- User's Own Experience