Location: Chantry in the Denerim Marketplace
Quest: Find Fazzil’s sextant
Reward: 2 gold sovereigns
Completing the Quest:
The sextant is located in the Apartments in the Elven Alienage. However, you will not be able to complete this Dragon Age Origins quest or access this area until after the beginning of the Landsmeet. Once you obtain it, go back to the Chantry for your reward.
Places of Power
Location: The Mage’s Collective in the Denerim Marketplace
Quest: Activate the four mystical sites of power located in the Brecilian Forest, Deep Roads, Circle Tower and Elven Alienage.
Reward: 2 gold sovereigns
Completing the Quest: Travel to the four sites of power. Activate them by having one of your characters touch the appropriate location (by pressing the X button on your PS3 controller). The locations of the sites are as follows:
- Brecilian Forest - Next to a gravestone on the northern side of the forest
- Deep Roads – Find the site in the Ortan Thaig.
- Circle Tower – Located in the Apprentice quarters on the first floor
- Elven Alienage – You will find it next to a big tree near the hospital.
If you have followed the Dragon Age guide tips, you can now go back to the Mage’s Collective for your reward.
Location: The Arl of Denerim’s Estate (in Denerim)
Quest: Find Irminric in the dungeon.
Reward: Help Iminric and gain support from Bann Alfstanna against Logain at the Landsmeet
Completing the Quest: This Dragon Age Origins quest can be triggered off during the “Rescue the Queen” mission at the Arl of Denerim’s Estate. This is at the start of the Landsmeet. You will find poor Iminric in the Arl’s dungeon. He will give you a signet ring to give to Bann Alfstanna. When you can, go to the Gnawed Tavern in the Denerim Marketplace. Talk to Bann Alfstanna and give her the signet ring. Ask her for support against Logain at the Landsmeet.
Location: The Arl of Denerim’s Estate
Quest: Free Oswyn from the torture chamber
Reward: Help Oswyn and gain support from Sighard (his dad) against Logain at the Landsmeet.
Completing the Quest:
This quest only triggers off when you are on the “Rescue the Queen” mission (at the start of the Landsmeet). Find Oswyn in the lower level in the torture chamber room. You will talk to him briefly and he will leave. To receive your reward, you will need to find a way out of the Arl of Denerim’s estate. Whether you fight your way out or are captured and taken to prison (see the Dragon Age Origins walkthrough for Fort Drakon) at the first opportunity you will need to go to the Gnawed Noble Tavern in the Denerim Marketplace. Talk to Sighard about his son. Ask him for support against Logain at the Landsmeet proceedings.
Scrolls of Banastor
Location: Blackstone Irregulars in the Gnawed Noble Tavern in Denerim
Quest: Find and pick up all five scrolls of Banastor located throughout Ferelden
Reward: 5 gold sovereigns
Completing the Quest: The scrolls of Banastor can be found in the following locations:
- Circle Tower – Two banastors are located here. One is in the Senior Mage quarters. The other is in the Great Hall.
- Wyrming Lair – You can find two banastors in this location. The Wyrming Lair is in the Ruins near Haven. One is in the southeast library. Find the other in the middle west of the map next to the barracks.
- Werewolf Lair – In this area, look for a bedroom in the southeast side. It is near the beds.
Once you have all five Banastors, see the Blackstone Irregulars in the Gnawed Noble Tavern for your reward.
Restocking the Guild
Location: Blackstone Irregulars at the Gnawed Noble Tavern in Denerim Marketplace
Quest: Obtain twenty health potions for the Irregulars
Reward: Four gold sovereigns
Completing the Quest: Buy or create twenty “lesser” health potions and take them to the Irregulars for your reward.
Location: Bartender at the Gnawed Noble Tavern in Denerim Marketplace
Quest: Collect 10 garnet gems for the bartender’s client “K”
Reward: 1 gold sovereign
Completing the Quest: This side quest seems easy, but if you don’t start collecting garnets from the beginning of the game (before you can get this quest) it is difficult to get all 10 pieces. It almost requires that you have played Dragon Age Origins before since there is no way of knowing beforehand that they can be tied in with a quest. Most garnets will be found off of fallen enemies. If you start collecting them in Ostagar and Lothering (which is before you can go to Denerim) be sure to save them, since you will not be able to access these area during the whole game. If you found some in other locations and have sold them to a merchant, you can buy them back. A garnet can also be retrieved from the following locations:
- Ruck’s shop in the Deep Roads (random)
- The Quartermaster in the Circle Tower (random)
- Completing the first “Summoning Science” task in the Circle Tower located on the first floor (you will need the summoning science codex). Touch the following items in this exact order: Summoning Font, Tomb of Spirit Personages and then the First Summoning Font. If done correctly, a “spirit nug” will appear and then drop dead. Pick up the garnet off of his corpse.
If you are lucky to find all 10 garnets, go back to the bartender at the Gnawed Noble Tavern for your reward.
- Screenshot images created by Sheila Robinson.
This post is part of the series: Dragon Age Origins (PS3) - Guide to the Denerim Side Quests
In Dragon Age Origins, there are a lot of side quests. The city of Denerim provides lots of opportunities to earn gold sovereigns and special items. In this guide, find out how to find and complete side quests for the Mage’s Collective, The Denerim Chantry and the Bartender at Gnawed Noble Tavern.