Tips and Tricks
This level isn’t too hard, since it’s the first real mission and they figure you’re still rusty after the training run. It’s basically a brief building clearing operation bookended by a few small battles. There’s still a few things to keep in mind though.
- If you get a chance before you raid the school, grab a mini uzi from one of the dead militiamen. These are really nice and they’re great for the school. A shot from the iron sights is very accurate, but it can lay down suppression fire too.
- Always check your corners. It’s a good habit to learn now. The insurgents like to ambush you.
- Remember to stay below the window lines while you’re moving up to the school.
- Get used to throwing flashbangs. They’re pretty useful, so play around with the distances a bit in this first fight.
- The desks in the school are not good cover for the militia. You can put assault rifle rounds right through them. Remember to shoot right through their cover.
Rangers Lead The Way
Alright. It’s time to start up the first real mission of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. As soon as you get on your feet, charge up to the riverbank and start firing on the RPG teams on the other side of the river. Just keep up the fire in bursts. Switch over to the grenade launcher if you want. Just aim so that the bottom tick is on the target. After you clear the shore once, you should have to swing up and nail the targets on the bridge. Just rake some machine gun fire across them.
Hold on for a little bit longer while the bridgelayer covers the gap in the bridge. Then run up the stairs and take your spot in the humvee. We’re on the minigun for this part. There’s no ambush for a little bit, so don’t worry. Once you pass the militia lookouts, you’ll start to take sniper fire. Zoom in the barrel to get it spinning and ready to fire. Then just open up on the soldiers on the rooftop of the school. Spray the entire rooftop and then the windows to keep them pinned. After a short exchange, you’ll bug out. Just focus on watching what’s in front of you. You’ll probably need to shoot the 2 gunners on the backs of the trucks. You might also need to gun down the foot soldiers who get close on the harder difficulties. Other than that, just hang on until you get hit by an RPG.
Get up and run into the room with your squad. Stay away from the doors and just wait for them to regroup. No need to waste the ammo on the guys outside, since we’re leaving them behind. Go up the steps, gun down the insurgent at the top, and toss a flashbang. This will incapacitate the rest of the men. Just mow them down. While you’re here, pick up a mini-uzi. It’s really nice for this level.
Taking The School
Peek out the door to get a look at the occupied school. Hang back for a minute while they regroup, then follow Foley out the door and into the yard. Go through the front doors and quickly take out the guards in the hallway. Swing into the classroom on the right, and throw a flashbang. Take care of the 3 men inside while they’re stunned.
Mop up the rest and charge up the steps. Fire on the men by the windows. Try to take out as many as you can in one burst, before you alert them to your presence. Push your way over to the next hall by cutting through the classroom. Flank the guards and take out the rest of the group by the window. Then look down the hallway and take out the last group of gunmen. Chuck in a grenade to take them out, or just wait in the doorway until they start to come toward you. It’s your call.
With the school clear, you can head back out to the parking lot. Move out and start chasing the stragglers down the streets. You should come across about 5 running out of a side alley. Just gun them down. Move forward a little further and take out the man in the side room across from the alley. Then take out the last 3 guys at the end of the street. Curve to the left and get over to the US rally point. Meet up with General Sheperd to finish the mission.
This post is part of the series: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Walkthrough – Missions 1-5
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Walkthrough – Team Player
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Walkthrough – Cliffhanger
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Walkthrough – No Russian
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Walkthrough – Takedown
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Walkthrough – Wolverines!