Gears of War 2 Horde Tips
6. Waves Ending in 7 – Waves 7, 17, 27, 37, and 47 are probably the hardest waves in Horde. This is because it is filled with Boomers, Grinders, Kantus, Therons, and enemies that shoot at you with perfect accuracy. Be very careful in these waves.
7. Spacing – Waves ending with 5 – 9 and 0 require spacing of the team (even waves ending with 2-4 because there is a threat of frags). As a general rule, one boomshot from a Boomer or one frag from a Grenadier should NEVER down more than 1 person. I have played in games where 1 frag or boomshot killed our whole team because we were standing very close to each other. Space yourselves out and stick to a certain zone on the map and make sure everyone is assigned a zone and that each person is well spread out to avoid the frag and boomshot threats.
8. Kill Tickers – Each Ticker kill is worth 70 points in Horde. Do not let the Tickers explode as each time that happens, you give up 70 free points. Generally, try to shoot at Tickers with an automatic gun like the Lancer or maybe the Hammerburst.
9. Hammerburst – At the start of Horde, you have to pick between starting with a Hammerburst or a Lancer. I would advise always picking the Hammerburst as it is much stronger than the Lancer. However, if someone is more comfortable with the Lancer, have that person be one of the shield guards (guard the shield area). That way, whenever an enemy breaches your camp, that person should be able to chainsaw the enemy as a last resort.
10. Emergency Shields – You have to have at least 2 or more shields INSIDE your camp at all times in case the locusts breach your camp and knock down your shield blockade. If this happens, grab the emergency shields and use your pistol as you should be immune to most enemy fire while holding the shield. Without emergency shields, as soon as an enemy gets into your camp, it will almost certainly kill anyone not blocking with a shield.
The most important thing to keep in mind before attempting to play Hardcore Horde on Gears of War 2 is the use of shields. Practice planting 4 or even 5 shields within 10-15 seconds so that way each person will be able to save shields for the next wave because they disappear with 10-15 seconds unless replanted.
In later waves (37+), if you take even the slightest damage, get immediately back into cover as 2 boltok shots WILL down you. It is very easy to get downed from taking too much damage so you cannot afford to be out of cover for too long in the later waves of Gears of War 2 Horde. If you work as a team, follow these guidelines and communicate, you will have a good chance of getting far in Horde.
Know that Gears of War 2 Horde mode is nothing like the multiplayer Gears of War 2 experience where you can run around with a shotgun and kill the enemy. In Horde, the locusts work as a team and will flank you if you are not careful and almost immediately surround you if you are in the open. I have played with many casual Horde players that do not understand this and follow none of the above rules (especially #2). If you are serious about Gears of War 2 Horde, then do not play public matches. Even if you complete waves 1-50 without losing, the difficulty is only Normal so your score will only be in the top 300-400 at best, whereas, it would most likely be a top 20 score if it has been on Hardcore! (private match is the only way to play on the Hardcore difficulty)
If you are stumped about a certain map and cannot seem to get very far in Gears of War 2 Horde even after following the above rules, then depending on the reason you keep losing, you are probably not camping at the correct location, are not spaced properly, or are not paying enough attention to the entrance to your camp.
If you ever get stumped, I would advise to look at the current top 10 scores on the official Gears of War 2 Horde Leaderboards (stores top 1,000 scores for each map) site and sending each of the ma message politely asking them of their strategy for that map. You will likely get replies from some of the people that explain to you what strategy they used. This is a great way to learn so that you can improve your Gears of War 2 Horde playing skills.